Christian Solidarity Worldwide reports that Vietnamese human rights lawyer Nguyen Van Dai was sentenced on 5 April to 15 years in prison for ‘carrying out activities aimed at overthrowing the government’. Basically his “crime” is giving advice and representation to victims of human rights abuses – including religious freedom abuses – across Vietnam. He has been repeatedly harassed and intimidated by the Vietnamese authorities and has previously spent 4 years in prison. He was arrested in late 2016 and has remained in prison without trial since. Other prominent activists have been similarly treated.
CSW asks that we pray:
- For God to give strength and courage to Nguyen Van Dai as he faces the prospect of over a decade in jail.
- For the release of Nguyen Van Dai’s colleague, Le Thu Ha, who was arrested at the same time and was sentenced to 9 years in prison.
- That all of the appeals would be successful: that the charges against them would be dismissed and they’d be unconditionally released.
- For the family of Nguyen Van Dai, especially his wife, who has campaigned tirelessly for his release.
- In Sudan the government restricts the activities of all religious minorities. In September Christian and Muslim parents in Khartoum, the capital, arranged a demonstration to protest a new directive requiring Christian schools to open on Sundays.
Collect for 3rd Sunday of Easter
Risen Christ, you filled your disciples with boldness
and fresh hope: strengthen us to proclaim
your risen life and fill us with your peace,
to the glory of God the Father. Amen