We have an easy-going ring of six bells, with the tenor weighing in at 6 cwt 2 stones 6 pounds. We’ve a small but dedicated band of regular ringers, but we always welcome anyone new, beginner or not, to join us!
The three Smith of Edgbaston bells, cast in 1706, were recast and rehung, still as a three but in a 6-bell frame, at the beginning of the 20th century by James Barwell, and dedicated by the Bishop of Coventry on 21 December 1900. The Smith inscriptions were repeated on the new bells. On installation, these bells were intended to be the front three of a heavier ring of six (tenor c.10 cwt in G). Some 20 years later they were indeed augmented to six as a memorial to those that fell in WWI. The 1900 scheme was modified in 1920 and two trebles and a tenor were added instead of three tenors, the 1900 treble being retuned down a semitone, now weighing 4-0-14 (4-1-14 was the original weight). The treble and second hang in pits of the 1900 frame intended for much larger bells and their headstocks are very long. The tenor bell was cast without cannons, and the five smallest bells have ‘Doncaster heads’. The composite frame remains that installed by Barwell 1900. The fittings are of 1900 and 1920, with ball bearings fitted when the bells were rehung, the 4th bell’s headstock being replaced by Mears & Stainbank in 1957. Other relatively minor work was completed by Taylors in the early 1990s, including the replacement of the tenor bell’s headstock.
Practice night at St Giles’ is Thursday most weeks – please first ring Viv Hopkins, Tower Captain, on (024) 7664 5161 to check it’s on.